Wednesday 21 September 2011

new composite

This is what I have so far for my newest composite, which should be completed for the crit next week Thursday (Sep. 29).





I've chosen the angle specifically so that more than half of the image is at immediate scale, the original dimensions preserved from my initial photograph. Beyond that is an adjacent building separated by a gap I'll try to bridge with flagging and/or wires. The top right portion will be open, showing the distant ground below. Hopefully I can complete at least one more composite for the crit.
Textual accompaniment will likely be significantly trimmed down by comparison to my last work. During my meeting with my instructor Brad last week, he made the point that it's important not to let the text end up doing more conceptual heavy-lifting than the actual images, lest the composites become sidelined and the text a kind of crutch to express my ideas. I think he makes a good point, and I agree that it's best if I try to communicate my ideas through the images primarily.