Friday 1 April 2011

2011-03-30 Update (belatedly upped 04-01)

Here's the latest stage of the image I've been working on this week. Posting this a few days late but figured it's a fairly important step and should still go up.


Changed the sky again, I'm pretty sure this one is going to stay. I've also been working on making the top structures look like they're being subsumed back into the landscape, but it's fairly tricky business. I don't like the way the earth on top of the right of the structures looks, the parts where the earth meets the objects will probably take a lot more work before it looks decently convincing. I'm thinking I might want to try and look up images showing natural accumulation on and around existing ruins for reference.

I've also made the scale of the middle buildings considerably smaller. I took another look at the image I started this composition from and realized that the buildings I'd put there were too large for that perspective. Building the middle portion into a town is also proving to be difficult, as I don't have a lot of images to work from that fit that description. I'm hoping for another sunny day to come along so I can go around and shoot some more images that I can use to shape together a bustling little village.

Another part I've neglected thus far is the pit itself. I still need some kind of border to make the pit edge a better join. Below, I'll build something occupying the shadowed pit wall, the curious gazes of the figures on the edge seem to beckon some sort of intrigue.